D4Science is a Hybrid Data Infrastructure connecting +2000 scientists in 44 countries, integrating +50 heterogeneous data providers, executing +13,000 models & algorithms/month; providing access to over a billion quality records in repositories worldwide, with 99,7% service availability.
D4Science hosts +50 Virtual Research Environments to serve the biological, ecological, environmental, and statistical communities world-wide.
Each Virtual Research Environment is a "system" per-se aiming at providing their users with a web-based working environment offering the entire spectrum of applications and facilities (including services, data and computational facilities) needed to accomplish a given task. It offer specialized functionalities for the management, processing, and visualization of scientific data and textual content.
The D4Science Infrastructure development started in the context of the homonymous project cofounded by the European Commission and have been expanded thanks to cofoundings stemming from other projects, namely:
- D4Science-II - Data Infrastructure Ecosystem for Science (2009-2011);
- ENVRI - Common Operations of Environmental Research Infrastructures (2011-2014);
- EUBrazilOpenBio - EU-Brazil Open Data and Cloud Computing e-Infrastructure for Biodiversity (2011-2013);
- iMarine - Data e-Infrastructure Initiative for Fisheries Management and Conservation of Marine Living Resources (2011-2014);
- BlueBRIDGE - Building Research environments for fostering Innovation, Decision making, Governance and Education to support Blue growth. This new European initiative funded under the H2020 framework will further develop and exploit the iMarine e-Infrastructure data services for an ecosystem approach to fisheries.
Three main sites are directly contributing to the infrastructure with hardware resources:
- The Pisa Site operated by the Networked Multimedia Information Systems Laboratory of the Istituto di Scienza e Tecnologie dell'Informazione "A. Faedo" of the National Research Council of Italy;
- The Rome Site operated by Engineering;
- The Athens Site operated by the Management of Data, Information, and Knowledge Group of the Department of Informatics & Telecommunications of the University of Athens and by the Communication & Information Technologies Experts S.A.